Opening of Public Parking Garage in Morgan Hill
At the end of June, on a balmy summer night, a new public parking garage in Downtown Morgan Hill opened with a great fanfare on 3rd Street. The City of Morgan Hill hired Urban Field Studio as consultants on the design of the garage, the signage, and the integration of public art. The garage includes ground floor retail space that fronts on redesigned 3rd Street and a new public space.
The garage features two iconic pieces of public art created by Napa-based artist Gordon Huether: an oversized tarantula made out of steel and motorcycle headlights crawling up the building facade and colorful glass panels enclosing the main stairwell with abstracted poppy jasper patterns. Both are references to local features of Morgan Hill and call out the building as a new landmark. Arachnophobia is not a problem in Morgan Hill, T-shirts and stickers with the tarantula silhouette were a common sight that night.
The parking garage provides 270 free parking spaces serving the downtown of Morgan Hill, a fast-growing regional destination with a growing reputation for fine restaurants and shops. 3rd Street has been redesigned as a shared street by Santa Cruz based Landscape Architect Joni L. Janecki & Associates. It incorporates sustainable landscape features, wide sidewalks, seating, parking pockets, and a small plaza in front if the parking garage that integrates an existing gorgeous tree. 3rd Street can be closed off for events and provides, together with the streetscape improvements on Monterey Road, a new pedestrian-friendly center of activity for Morgan Hill.
With the Morgan Hill Station just a block away, the downtown can also easily be reached by train. The parking garage is yet another important piece of revitalizing the downtown and all that it has to offer.
- Jul 31, 2018 Working on Technical Assistance Panels (TAPs) Jul 31, 2018
- Dec 18, 2017 Morgan Hill Parking Garage receives 2017 Silicon Valley Structures Award Dec 18, 2017
- April 2017
- Dec 1, 2016 Protected Bike Lanes Dec 1, 2016
- Dec 1, 2016 New tools for civic engagement at a glance Dec 1, 2016
- Dec 1, 2016 The Unexpected and Underground Houston Dec 1, 2016
- Dec 1, 2016 Complete street design that works – a look at Strasbourg, France Dec 1, 2016
- Dec 1, 2016 The Beaverton ULI TAP Dec 1, 2016
- Dec 1, 2016 Opening of Public Parking Garage in Morgan Hill Dec 1, 2016
- Mar 1, 2015 Urban Field is certified as Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) Mar 1, 2015
- Jan 1, 2015 New Year, New Partner Jan 1, 2015
- Nov 10, 2014 New Tools for Civic Engagement Nov 10, 2014
- Oct 15, 2014 SF Urban Film Festival Oct 15, 2014
- Sep 15, 2014 Urban Field is a Local Business Entity in San Francisco Sep 15, 2014
- Aug 1, 2014 Motorcycle Parking in San Francisco Aug 1, 2014