New Tools for Civic Engagement
This video was created by Urban Field Studio as an intro piece for the panel discussion "New Tools to Re-invent Civic Engagement" as part of the San Francisco Urban Film Fest, Nov 6-9, 2014. It shows examples of typical workshops and alternative approaches such as on-site workshops, walking tours, and illustration of design ideas through film.
This is a montage that begins our panel discussion about new tools for civic engagement. Despite the major effort going into the public process, most ideas and “visions” are quickly forgotten and never become a reality. Given the technology available to us, what are our options? Are there better tools or processes to engage people in local planning? How can we better use digital footage?
For this panel we invited a planner, a documentary filmmaker, a workshop artist, and a user experience designer to come talk about the possibilities for making the next public project more inclusive, inviting, and meaningful. This panel was held on November 6, 2014 at the SF Urban Film Festival in San Francisco.
Our panelists were:
- Ilaria Salvadori, City of San Francisco Planning Department City Design Group
- Ken Fisher, documentary film maker and co-founder of StoryCode SF
- James Rojas, founder of Place It!
- Aditi Rao service designer for Wells Fargo and urban designer
Heidi Sokolowsky and Jane Lin of Urban Field Studio lead the panel and moderated discussion.
- Sep 24, 2019 Teaching Community Engagement at the Bauhaus Summer School Sep 24, 2019
- Sep 17, 2019 Oakland 2100 at the AIA East Bay Sep 17, 2019
- Sep 10, 2019 Rose Center for Public Leadership in Land Use Sep 10, 2019
- Sep 10, 2019 Teaching Urban Design at Cal Sep 10, 2019
- Jul 31, 2018 Working on Technical Assistance Panels (TAPs) Jul 31, 2018
- Dec 18, 2017 Morgan Hill Parking Garage receives 2017 Silicon Valley Structures Award Dec 18, 2017
- April 2017
- Dec 1, 2016 Protected Bike Lanes Dec 1, 2016
- Dec 1, 2016 New tools for civic engagement at a glance Dec 1, 2016
- Dec 1, 2016 The Unexpected and Underground Houston Dec 1, 2016
- Dec 1, 2016 Complete street design that works – a look at Strasbourg, France Dec 1, 2016
- Dec 1, 2016 The Beaverton ULI TAP Dec 1, 2016
- Dec 1, 2016 Opening of Public Parking Garage in Morgan Hill Dec 1, 2016
- Mar 1, 2015 Urban Field is certified as Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) Mar 1, 2015
- Jan 1, 2015 New Year, New Partner Jan 1, 2015
- Nov 10, 2014 New Tools for Civic Engagement Nov 10, 2014
- Oct 15, 2014 SF Urban Film Festival Oct 15, 2014
- Sep 15, 2014 Urban Field is a Local Business Entity in San Francisco Sep 15, 2014
- Aug 1, 2014 Motorcycle Parking in San Francisco Aug 1, 2014